Genesis 49:29-50:14; Psalms 94, 95; 1 Corinthians 11:17-34; Mark 8:1-10
I could title this devotional “Kitty Murphy Part II” because, just like last year, Kitty “Balaam” Murphy (Numbers 22) jumped into my lap while I was working on this devotional. I had been praying about the theme for the passages when the furry, inquisitive feline leaped into my lap. Then I remembered, “Oh yeah, it is time to feed the three kitties!” Indeed, it was 6 p.m., the time when the three receive canned cat food. Then the theme dawned upon me – food – my favorite thing!
Food is in all the passages. Using my cultural context, I thought of food because of the time of funerals and mourning in Genesis 49 and 50. (People bring food to people when they have lost a loved one.) The verses in Psalms 94 and 95 say that the Lord is my defense and rock. (Surely David’s passage means that God will provide food!) Then 1 Corinthians 17 reminds us of coming with pure hearts to communion. (This is spiritual food – however, food nonetheless.) And Mark 8 tells of Jesus providing for the 4,000. (Yeah for leftovers!)
Food was just the springboard for the real meaning. The Lord told me that I would never view food the same because food stands for Find One Opportunity Daily.
Here are some suggestions on how you can do FOOD – and not gain weight!
- Invite someone to church. Preface it with, “Say, how about if I buy you brunch at IHOP? Come to church with me. Then we can go to brunch!”
- Buy one can of spaghetti sauce and donate it to LINK, the food pantry. (Please put the can in the box in the parish hall.)
- Call someone up from church and tell them you are praying for him or her.
- Offer to bake a dish for Helping Hands through the Community Committee.
- Ask our rector about available service opportunities.
Let us pray: Dear Lord, help me Find One Opportunity Daily to honor you and follow your example. In Christ’s name we pray, amen.